Senator Ben Nighthorse Campbell, Chairman
Rep. Christopher H. Smith, Co-Chairman
For Immediate Release
October 7, 2002
U.S. POLICY TOWARD OSCE
FOCUS OF HELSINKI COMMISSION HEARING
(Washington) - The United States Helsinki Commission will hold a hearing to examine U.S. policy toward the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE).
U.S. Policy toward the OSCE
Thursday, October 10, 2002
10:00 AM – 12:00 Noon
334 Cannon House Office Building
- A. Elizabeth Jones, Assistant Secretary of State, European and Eurasian Affairs
- Lorne W. Craner, Assistant Secretary of State, Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor
- Catherine A. Fitzpatrick, CIS Program Director, International League for Human Rights
- Elizabeth Andersen, Executive Director (DC), Europe and Central Asia Division, Human Rights Watch
- Robert Templer, Asia Program Director, International Crisis Group
This hearing will examine U.S. priorities and long-standing human rights concerns in the OSCE region and how the OSCE can serve as a forum to advance those goals and address human rights violations; the role of the nearly 20 OSCE field activities including in Belarus, Chechnya, Georgia, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Macedonia, and Uzbekistan; and expectations for the OSCE Ministerial Council in December.
Since the end of the Cold War, the OSCE has evolved into a singular instrument for advancing U.S. foreign policy goals in Eurasia, including the advancement of the principles of democracy, human rights and the rule of law. It remains the only pan-European forum for military-security negotiations.
An un-official transcript will be available on the Helsinki Commission’s Internet web site at http://www.csce.gov within 24 hours of the hearing.
The United States Helsinki Commission, an independent federal agency, by law monitors and encourages progress in implementing provisions of the Helsinki Accords. The Commission, created in 1976, is composed of nine Senators, nine Representatives and one official each from the Departments of State, Defense and Commerce.
Media Contact: Ben Anderson
# # #